Deerfield-News.com-Deerfield Beach, Fl-Pompano Beach authorities are reporting one died from firework-related injuries and one man lost a hand. Fort Lauderdale authorities reporting one death due to firework-related injuries. Witnesses say the man who died was Tavares Hamilton who had put a PVC pipe partially in the ground and then put a three-inch mortar shell inside of it. He then lit the explosive but it exploded before he could back away from it. A 15-year-old was injured and lost part of his hand on NE 2 Terrace in Pompano Beach. Authorities are reporting a 32-year-old Fort Lauderdale man died when a Roman candle exploded in his hand.
Broward Sheriffs Office Fire Rescue PIO Chief Michael Kane has released the following about other firework incidents in the county.
We have received several requests for the number and call type of fireworks related incidents. Below are our details:
Date District Call Type Details
7/4 Unincorporated Broward FIRE Tiki Hut caught on fire after ignited by stray firework, Fire extinguished
7/4 Unincorporated Broward TRAUMA Facial burns to a child from firework (minor)
7/4 Deerfield Beach TRAUMA Eye injury as a result of firework, Trauma Alert
7/4 Unincorporated Broward TRAUMA Hand Injury as a result of a firework exploding in hand
7/4 West Park FIRE Fireworks left in trash and ignited, Fire Extinguished
7/5 West Park FIRE Fireworks left unattended in trash can, started fire, Fire Extinguished
There is of course an expectation that residents will continue to participate in firework related activities throughout the weekend. For the safety and security of our residents, we recommend the following best practices in proper disposal of fireworks.
· Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Recommends the following steps to safely dispose of fireworks
Soak. Completely submerge fireworks in a bucket of water. Allow to soak overnight.
Wrap. Double wrap soaked fireworks in plastic wrap or plastic bags so they do not dry out.
Dispose. Place wrapped bags in regular household garbage or take to your local solid waste facility.
Michael B. Kane, MPA
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue & Emergency Services Department